Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I am fortunate that my daily life is spent in the making of art, surrounded by artists, and not in the answering of telephones, or surrounded by lawyers - which is how I used to spend my days. There's something about being in a place you don't want to be that drains you... empties you of creativity and the desire to create.

I had a conversation with a co-worker today, a gifted young artist by the name of Corey Bond. His website can be found here, although he tells me it's rather outdated. I do wish he'd get his newer drawings on there - I had the privilege of seeing some photos of a couple of them, and they were just beautiful! He swears the update is coming soon... we'll just have to check in every now and then to see...! As for not being able to update a website, I know the feeling! I haven't updated anything on here in quite a while, largely due to the fact that my computer died a rather sudden death in late March, and while I've managed to find a replacement, I've not yet been able to make any use of it... rather annoying that... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Anyway... we were discussing work related things, and he asked me if my personal work was as tightly detailed as we attempt to get at work, or more painterly... I think my answer was incorrect... I said my portraits were tightly detailed, but, in fact, I don't think they are... After looking them over tonight, I realize I strive for a more painterly approach - partly because I like it, and partly because I simply don't have the patience for the more intense details required in painting so photographically real. I like for people to know they're looking at paint... although, in my drawing, it's the exact opposite - I don't want you to notice the medium at all...!

Interesting...

No comments: